SubjectRe: I have information/driver source for winmodem's (no Joke)
Date
Followup to:  <028501be83d1$6eea3980$ab324bd1@server>
By author: "Richard Reynolds" <Richard.Reynolds@usa.net>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Here is the thing the winmodem style modem is not actually a windows modem
> but a modem that is missing critual hardware to be considered a modem there
> is only 2 parts of windows that supports the winmodem 1 its multitasking(or
> sort of) and 2 companies have little encouragement to write for other
> operating systems. the greator numbers of phone-line modem users use windows
> version something.
>
> there are no AT commands for any of the lucent modems! so having the
> commands programmed elseware doesnot help. the commands are proprietary.

Yes; there are two kinds -- controllerless and DSP-less. The
controllerless do V.42 and AT commands in software, the DSP-less
*also* have to do modulation/demodulation in software.

The former is actually a quite reasonable idea, if it wasn't for the
fact the manufacturers refuse to document their stuff. The latter is
much sketchier as it requires the OS to be pretty much real-time.

-hpa
--
"The user's computer downloads the ActiveX code and simulates a 'Blue
Screen' crash, a generally benign event most users are familiar with