SubjectRe: CPU affinity
Ingo Molnar wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>
> > > Are there any patches available to enable some sort of CPU
affinity? this
> > > would be useful for some software (e.g. Informix Dynamic Server)
and in
> > > general would reduce cache thrashing on SMP boxes.
> >
> > Linux already uses a simple form of CPU affinity. Although it is
quite
> > simple, it is quite effective. I worked on it for about a week
somewhere
> > around 2.1.4x and was unable to acheve any intresting improvements.
>
> note that 2.2 already has a 'not so simple' cache-affinity logic. It's

> automatic and works for a wide range of cases. (let me/the list know
if it
> doesnt seem to work for something)

I don't have an SMP box yet, but I'm working on a real-time signal
processing application that is eventually going to need the ability to
hard assign processes to specified CPUs. I see this an an SMP extension
of the POSIX real-time scheduling functionality - the ability to
override any intelligence/algorithms in the scheduler, and statically
decide an appropriate set of priorities and CPU assignments.

Ben

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.044 / U:0.492 seconds]