SubjectRe: 2.2.3-pre3 - `make modules_install' doesn't.
Hi there.

>> I just built a 2.2.3-pre3 on an i386, a small kernel with lots of
>> modules. Here's a list of all the modules that were _not_
>> installed by

>> 'make config && make dep && make bzImage modules \
>> && make modules_install'

> It works fine for me. I have modules installed from 2.2.3-pre3
> that you listed.

> Perhaps the problem is 'make bzImage modules' -- it _should_
> work, but does it? Myself, I make the two targets separately.

I generally use the following, which have always worked for me:

Q> make menuconfig
Q> make dep clean modules modules_install zimage

...or...

Q> make menuconfig
Q> make dep clean modules modules_install bzimage

I have found on several occasions that doing the "make zImage" or
"make bzImage" before the "make modules" doesn't work properly, but
have to admit that I can see no reason why not. On the other hand,
I've never had it fail when done in the order listed above...

If anybody can advise me regarding the reason for this, it would be
appreciated...

Best wishes from Riley.