SubjectRe: glibc-2.1 upgrade headaches. egcs-1.1.1 errors! SOLVED!
Thanks to everyone again who replied to my request. I went ahead and
solved the problem. Main reason for compilation failure of a new kernel
was broken egcs-1.1.1

Hats off to Arvind Shankar who tipped me off with a location of rpm
version of egcs.
ftp://anjala.mit.edu/pub/redhat/RPMS/i386/egcs-rhcn-1.1.1-1.i386.rpm
After I installed it, I recompiled ncurses again and it worked smoothly
from then on. If you remember on my previous message I mentioned that
egcs-1.1.1 was installed in /usr/local directory. So I had to remove
this directory to get new egcs working. As for signal-11 concerns (which
I also thought would be a hardware problem), it never happened again.
So, I assume that not always sig11 should indicate a faulty hardware,
but I can be wrong :)

Thanks to all.

Alex