    SubjectRe: Simple DoS...out of resources?
    On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Mikulas Patocka wrote:

    > > > Hi,
    > > > You need to set user resource limits. This isn't a kernel problem. See
    > > > the "ulimit" command if you use bash. Other shells probably use a different
    > > > command.
    > > As a side note, the new versions of the linux shadow suite
    > > support the /etc/limits command to force limits on users, and I
    > > believe the RedHat PAM package has a similiar option..
    > I already thought of it and I think that linux _should_ be more protected
    > against such kind of attacks. A simple solution: If there's no swap space,
    > the kernel should count which user is taking most memory and kill some his
    > processes; not just kill the first process that actually wants memory over
    > limit.

    Would you like it if you were that user and the kernel decided to kill
    some of your processes ? I'm sure I wouldn't :)

    Also, I thought the process that requests the over-the-limit memory isn't
    'killed'. Surely the memory allocation routine fails. Making the user
    program take action.

    Then again, I'm not awake yet..
    Does this seem right?

    | Dave 'Barc0de' Jones. (Paranoid wierdo noize making geek) |
    | http://I.Am/PureHatred |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.020 / U:13.696 seconds]