    SubjectRe: Linux/IA-64 byte order
    On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

    > Little/big endian is determined by hardware. It is not a software
    > issue. Of course one could make a compiler put instructions in any
    > order, the natural order will be the order in which instructions
    > are fetched by the CPU from memory. Even if memory fetches are
    > long-longs, you will have to use what the CPU expects.

    Most RISC CPUs now have a mode flag that puts them in big or little endian
    mode, so this is no longer true. Some even have a bit in the instruction
    word which indicates whether to do a big-endian or little-endian load or

    Why? I'm going to speculate that Windows NT required it (for exactly the
    same reason Linus demands it - for running x86 apps). Most of the current
    RISC families started getting off the ground while NT 3.1 was in
    development and everyone planned on having a port. The hardware to support
    it is pretty minimal.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.018 / U:233.496 seconds]