    SubjectRe: Linux/IA-64 byte order
    I tried doing it on the ppc for a while (native LE devices running LE and
    BE devices running BE). It was a nightmare that I quickly fled from.

    The overhead of checking the mode we just came from was killing us. I
    couldn't find a clean way of doing that. The drain in time writing that
    code certainly wasn't worth the effort.

    }Mixing endianness on the fly is certainly possible, but stupid unless
    }you have some REALLY good reason for it. And quite frankly, there are

    You'd argue that running LE on machines with mostly LE devices isn't a
    good technical reason? Even if the overhead of swapping (an instruction
    for it) isn't too large it certainly would make things cleaner.

    }NEVER any good technical reasons for considering one endianness over
    }another (it's a completely arbitrary thing).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.021 / U:29.828 seconds]