SubjectRe: cdrom eject fails in 2.2.2-ac7
On Tue, Mar 09 1999, david parsons wrote:
> >You need to upgrade your version of eject. I believe that 2.0 is
> >"2.2 ready" - if not, let me know.
>
> As a matter of idle curiosity, why do you need to change your
> version of eject? Did the published interface for the CDROMEJECT
> ioctl change in 2.2?

No, the interface for CDROMEJECT didn't change. And the older eject will
work fine with 2.2 as long as there is a medium in the drive. But during
the development cycle of 2.1 it was decided that differentiating between
a) opening the device for data transfers and b) opening the device for
ioctl calls only. In the case of a we would like to make sure that the
cdrom contains a medium, the tray is closed, etc (ie, the device is
ready for reliable data transfer). With b we really don't care about the
state of the drive. For this purpose it was decided that O_NONBLOCK would
signify opening the device for ioctl calls only.

Older versions of eject (and various cd player, hdparm, etc) will fail
to open the device if they don't follow this convention.

--
* Jens Axboe <axboe@image.dk>
* Linux CD-ROM Maintainer