SubjectRe: Linux/IA-64 byte order
   Date: 	Tue, 9 Mar 1999 12:44:57 +1100
From: Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.csiro.au>

For example, if you had the kernel LE but allowed user space to
switch to BE, you would have to swap bytes when transferring
between kernel and user spaces. Ugly in the extreme.

With some minor magic in the uaccess.h macros, this can be done %100
transparently on UltraSparc so even ugliness like ioctl args
"just work". You'd be surprised what cpu's support directly in
hardware these days.

Actually, come to think of it, I wouldn't have to do anything to the
uaccess.h macros if I used little endian page mappings in the TLB for
a little endian process.

So, anyways, with a sane cpu it's a non-issue.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:1.641 / U:0.012 seconds]