SubjectRe: Linux/IA-64 (Merced)
>>>>> On Sat, 6 Mar 1999 23:03:18 +0100 (MET), Gerard Roudier <groudier@club-internet.fr> said:

Gerard> Times have changed. Seems Linux folk is now talking about
Gerard> NDAs without any flame.

Note that we're not talking about an NDA that _prevents_ free
software. We're talking about an NDA that essentially couples the
_timing_ of the release of free software to coincide with the general
availability of the hardware that is required to run the software
(Linux/ia64 is utterly useless unless you have a niece piece of IA-64
hardware to go along with it). Indeed, the former would obviously be
blatantly illegal given that the Linux kernel is GPL'd. Again let me
emphasize that we're doing everything according to the letter of the
GPL. Given all the time I have put in Linux/Alpha, SANE, and various
other free software projects, I hope you'll trust me on this one (and
if not, please contact me at davidm@hpl.hp.com).

As far as Linux/ia64 is concerned, the choice is to develop it now
under NDAs or to do nothing at all and simply wait until the hardware
is available (Intel says mid-2000, IIRC). Take your pick---I know
what I prefer... ;-)

Gerard> I am interested in having some information on caching stuff
Gerard> and IO stuff of the IA-64, but didn't succeed find such
Gerard> general infos. I just found some presentation of the chip at
Gerard> Intel Web site and, btw, found some comparable infos at
Gerard> Compaq site that say that the Alpha 264 is overall better
Gerard> and faster than the Merced.

Given all the time and effort I have spent on Linux/Alpha, you
certainly won't find me pitting the 21264 against Merced. ;-)

As a technical person, I don't particularly care for the hype and FUD
that's being thrown around in either camp. What matters to me is that
I think IA-64 is elegant and promising enough that I'd like to see
Linux running on it. Simple, isn't it?

Cheers,

--david

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.072 / U:1.484 seconds]