    SubjectRe: RH5.2 won't install on Cyrix
    Date

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Denis Voitenko <suffix@addr.com>
    To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
    Date: Friday, March 05, 1999 9:00 AM
    Subject: re: RH5.2 won't install on Cyrix

    >Okay, so you folks have brought me to a conclusion that I can not
    >install RH5.2 on my system because the CPU gets overheated when
    >Linux "hits" it. Besides inventing methods of cooling off the CPU
    >there is a way of trying some other distribution of Linux. Well,
    >is there a way where I can trick RH to belive that the CPU isn't
    >overheated? Some BIOS trick?
    >/

    agressive power management settings or a CPU cooler program/driver may help
    if the problem is overheating, however I doubt that they would actually
    solve the problem, at best they would work around it, for a while at least.
    If it is overheating you better get a better CPU fan and some heat tranfer
    compound. However I don't think that this is an overheating problem.
    Overheating CPU's usually don't start to die for a couple to a few minutes
    after bootup and even then the actual time of its death would be somewhat
    random. It takes time for a CPU to overcook itself. If it were heating
    problems serious enougth to be causing immediate crashes then I doubt very
    much that any OS would survive on that machine unless it loaded a CPU cooler
    driver immediately upon bootup. Before running out and trying to diagnose a
    hardware problem, I'd suggest first another distrib. The system on a floppy
    that I've heard about lately sounds like a good bet. A slackware boot/root
    combo would also be good

    >-

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.021 / U:0.264 seconds]