SubjectRe: MOSIX and kernel mods.
Date
>  Richard Gooch wrote:
> >Using DIPC or MOSIX is like using the "-parallel" switch on a
> >compiler. Sure, you'll usually get a performance boost (but sometimes
> >performance will drop through 13 floors), but it's not going to be
> >anywhere near the performance if you make the parallelism explicit.
>
> I agree completely. There will be some overhead when using systems like
> DIPC. That is because they are taking over some of the work that should

I'll note here that one thing that is _good_ about DIPC is that it allows you
to not use it. A DIPC Linux doesnt hide the true host systems underneath
in some almost impenetrable glue and do things like move your processes
around without you asking. That means you can do stuff quickly [make it
work sense] with DIPC and quickly [final performance] sense with PVM on the
same hosts.

Nobody takes away your right to be clever.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.065 / U:0.764 seconds]