    SubjectRe: Advantages of zImage vs. bzImage for 2.2.x kernel?
    On 30 Mar 1999, Christophe Broult wrote:

    > I do not know why but I cannot boot with a bzImage on my computer.

    LILO version too old? I have LILO version 20 and it boots bzImage

    The original questions was what are the advantages of bzImage over
    zImage. The main advantage, I guess, is that in a bzImage the kernel
    is compressed with bzip, which can compress things tighter than gzip
    (zImage). The size of the image is limited and thus you can boot a
    bigger kernel using bzImage. There seem to be no speed differences,
    not at least any that I can notice. It takes about a second or two
    for the kernel to decompress on my P233MMX and after that it doesn't
    matter which image type you use.

    -=[ Count Zero / TBH - Jussi Hämäläinen - email ]=-

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.021 / U:19.212 seconds]