    SubjectRe: GNU/Linux
    On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Richard Stallman wrote:

    [snips]

    > We've already had evidence posted to this list that FSF-owned tools
    > constitute less than 10% of the SuSE OS distribution.
    >
    > The FSF-copyrighted programs are a portion of the GNU software, and
    > tools are also just a portion. So what fraction of a particular
    > system consists of FSF-copyrighted tools has no special significance.

    So, what exactly is the point here? You want it to be GNU/SuSE/Linux
    because it contains even one FSF/GNU tool? Why not call it Vixie/Linux
    'coz RedHat ships with Vixie cron and BIND? When I use Linux, I use it
    for the kernel and the general environment that is common to all Linux
    distributions that I've worked with so far. I could run Solaris or FreeBSD
    with a big pile of GNU software if I wanted to, but I don't think I'd like
    that too much...

    ---
    tani hosokawa
    river styx internet

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.020 / U:0.700 seconds]