SubjectRe: GNU/Linux
Date
Once upon a time, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> said:
> Well, if you instist on making the additional requirement that anyone
> using GNU tools must add GNU/ to whatever they produce (I see that nowhere
> in the GPL, BTW, where did that requirement come from?)
>
>When talking about a Linux-based version of the GNU operating system,
>it's only fair to use GNU in the name. It's not a legal requirement;
>unlike the BSD developers, I'm not trying to force you. I'm asking
>you to do it voluntarily.

No you are NOT asking people to do it voluntarily. You are ramming your
opinion down everyone's throat. If you were asking people to make a
change voluntarily, you wouldn't "correct" everyone every time they use
the word "Linux" to refer to the OS. If you weren't trying to force
people to change, you would have dropped the idea long ago, as it has
always been controversial and never been widely accepted.

Yes, some basically essential parts of Linux are GNU. But a good bit of
the other equally essential parts are not GNU.

Also, has the GNU project not benefited from the Linux project as well?
For example, the GNU C library wasn't really up to the task of being the
primary libc for an OS when Linux started. A lot of work went on by
Linux developers to make it happen. Now that work has been folded back
into the GNU project. Should we rename the GNU C library the Linux/GNU
C library? How about gcc/egcs?

You say that what others call Linux is really just a Linux-based version
of the GNU OS. Maybe it is a GNU-based version of the Linux OS. The
Linux people aren't demanding you rename all of your tools that Linux
developers have contributed to. Why do you demand that Linux be
renamed?
--
Chris Adams - cadams@ro.com - System Administrator
Renaissance Internet Services - IBS Interactive, Inc.