SubjectRE: Address spaces on a i386 - Getting Confused
Date
Well, I wasn't that bothered about doing HW access to user space, but you
picqued my interest :-) This is all 3D texture mapper based.

If I was to go this route I would want to have a buffer that a user process
could write to, and then have that DMA'd to the HW. It's just that things
like texture maps can get pretty big, and I can forsee instances where the
User->Kernel space copy will take a appreciable amount of time to copy the
data across.

I have to admit I was thinking along the lines of Kernel Space allocation
and then a user space mmap(). Reading your mails it looks like this could
work, I'll have to read up a bit more (translation: dive into the source).

Thanks

Paul

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.036 / U:0.032 seconds]