SubjectMTRR breaking module joystick.o ?
I ran across what seems to be a possible problem with either mtrr or the
joystick drivers. When booting 2.2.5 (and 2.2.5ac1) with mtrr support
enabled in the kernel config I cannot load joystick.o due to an error "js:
unable to get major 15 for joystick". I have attached dmesgs and .configs
(tar and gzipped to save space) for those interested. The drivers work
fine if I disable mtrr when I compile the kernel in 2.2.5, leading me to
suspect mtrr...

I have an amd K6-2 333 running on a tyan s1590s motherboard with no
overclocking involved <blech>, which is why I was using 2.2.5ac1 for the
amd mtrr patches that I believe are included. The mtrr on 2.2.5ac1 works,
I have a cpu w/ stepping 12 - enough that cat /proc/mtrr reads:

reg00: base=0xe8000000 (3712MB), size= 8MB: write-combining, count=1

and xdm loads fine. I've also rebuilt the modules when I switched from
2.2.5 w/ and w/o mtrr if that helps.

The release base I'm working on is debian 2.1 (slink)..just barebones
though, rest built from source.

If there is any more information that would help clarify matters, or if I
should try something else to get it to work, please feel free to mail me
or just respond to the list (I'm subscribed).

I hope this isn't wasting anybody's time or bandwith!

-V

P.S. Okay, joystick.o isn't the most productive module around, but, well,
um.. no excuse here <grin>.

*************************
* Vasilios F. Hoffman *
* Physics Unix Admin *
* Wesleyan University *
* www.con.wesleyan.edu *

When I use an editor, I don't want eight extra KILOBYTES of worthless
help screens and cursor positioning code! I just want an EDitor!!
Not a "viitor". Not a "emacsitor". Those aren't even WORDS!!!! ED!
ED! ED IS THE STANDARD!!!

(with apologies to fortune and trey for stealing the quote)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.036 / U:0.648 seconds]