SubjectRe: GNU/Linux
This is a bit off-topic, but I'll try to say something constructive.

Set aside the issue of whether to call the system "Linux" or "Gnu/Linux"
or "Linux-based Gnu system". If I understand RMS correctly, the real
issue is freedom. The major point of his proposed name change is to
increase awareness of freedom.

Looking at the kernel source, I see this text near the top of the top-level
README file:

WHAT IS LINUX?
It is distributed under the GNU General Public License -
see the accompanying COPYING file for more detail.

Perhaps RMS would like to submit a patch to the top-level README file to
add the words "free software", or maybe even another entire sentence.

Another idea -- add a "Linux is free software, licensed under the GNU
General Public License" line to the bootup sequence.

Yes, a Linux system does have several components that are technically
in the same league as the gcc toolset, but I believe a lot of people
(including me) have contributed to the system *because* it is free
software, and I wouldn't mind seeing the kernel carry a little bit more
advocacy for free software.

Naturally any change of this kind falls squarely under the personal
jurisdiction of Linus Torvalds, and my opinion or anyone else's opinion
about it is worthless. His code, his license. He'd be completely
justified in saying "no way in hell". But I just thought I'd suggest
the idea.

Michael Elizabeth Chastain
<mailto:mec@shout.net>
"love without fear"

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.022 / U:1.348 seconds]