Subject[OFFTOPIC] response to RMS

> We've already had evidence posted to this list that FSF-owned tools
> constitute less than 10% of the SuSE OS distribution.
>
>The FSF-copyrighted programs are a portion of the GNU software, and
>tools are also just a portion. So what fraction of a particular
>system consists of FSF-copyrighted tools has no special significance.

wait just a minute, RMS.

what it sounds like is that you're claiming that the sheer amount of
software covered by the GPL gives the FSF/GNU project credence.

i think you had better start making a distinction RIGHT NOW between
software that's usefully licensed and software that your project "owns" or
has permission to use-and-extend.

People don't use your license only to be underappreciated. LOTS of things
are GPL'd because the terms are "useful" in meeting specific goals.

Your "GNU project"- to establish a freely available unix- didn't play
out. You built a lot of useful tools that help a lot of us to do Real
Work using our operating system of choice. and, because of your work, we
have several freely available operating systems, none of which are really
under the control of a single entity and "locked in" to particular
methods.

I consider that a victory for your cause. The fact that you DO NOT
control Linux is, in fact, exactly what your philosophical musings would
seem to consider a success.

So thank you. :)

HOWEVER. Your rantings are getting a little bit out of hand. Please try
to control yourself and work on improving your project's PR a bit? "LOUD
AND BIG" is an extremely immature form of social interaction. Especially
if it starts to get offensive.

so chill? make us all happier?

-elijah wright

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.037 / U:0.092 seconds]