SubjectRe: [patch] af_unix fix for a panic a DoS and a memory leak [Re:
	Folks, I tried to summarize those threads and here's the result:
1. garbage collector didn't notice that receive queues of still-not-accepted
connections are worth scanning. That was fixed in 2.1.126. Fix broke
the stack allocation code in GC. See panics observed by folks actively
using AF_UNIX. That was fixed in my second patch.
2. There is a DoS (memory exhaustion) that had been fixed by Andrea's patch.
Fix is not ideal and leaves open a related DoS with datagram sockets.
Proper fixing involves too serious rewrite to do it in 2.2. Proposed
variant (reap the unaccepted connection on close) leaves a nasty
race to userland ;-/
3. BSD implementation suffers from the same problems (and from several problems
we avoided).
4. On one of the boxen that used to panic combination of my patch to GC and
Andrea's patch to connect() seems to solve the problem. Another one
still demonstrates memory corruption with SMP enabled and works fine
with SMP disabled, even with unpatched 2.2.2. It may be something
we've missed, it may be an unrelated bug and it may be a faulty RAM.
5. Latest Andrea's patch includes both my fix to GC and his fix to connect().
Missing part: SOCK_DGRAM-related DoS.

Question: Tomasz, are you running UP or SMP?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.067 / U:0.684 seconds]