SubjectRe: Was: APM-Bios: No poweroff on Gigabyte m/b w/ Suspend to disk in BIOS
Date
Hi Pancho,

Pancho Horrillo <pancho@jet.es> writes:

> So, after all of this verbosity, the conclusion is that the new
> feature: Suspend to disk, makes the APM BIOS to behave differently from
> previous when trying to power-off the system (with this very motherboard),
> and that I need your help to modify the apm-driver to work on my system.

Actually you have been hit by a bug in the newer BIOS's. There may be an
even newer one that will fix this (There has been reports for some
GigaByte mother boards)

The problem is that the BIOS accesses a real mode segment while we are
still in protexted mode. Windows copes because it returns to real
mode before shutting down.

Someone posted a patch to return to real mode a couple of days ago,
do you could try that (let me know if you need it).

Cheers,
Stephen
--
Stephen Rothwell Stephen.Rothwell@canb.auug.org.au