    SubjectRe: Suspend to Disk - Intel Architecture
    On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Pavel Machek wrote:

    > Hi!
    > > For purposes of both learning more about the Intel architecture and
    > > the Linux kernel, and doing something useful for my Toshiba 410CDT
    > > laptop, I am attempting to write some simple(I hope) suspend to disk
    > > code for Linux. I remember seeing a similar thread discussed a while
    > > ago, but I plan on using a different method. I am taking the approach
    > > of dumping an entire snapshot of memory to a partition, and then when
    > > I get that working, a file.
    > This is what snapshot does, with exceptions:
    > it dumps to swap partition
    > it does not dump unused memory.

    How does it handle the cases where there is more used memory than space in
    the swap partition? And where can I get this program?

    Also, talking with a friend a few days ago, he mentioned a feature of
    another unixoid os that allowed to take a snapshot of just one program
    (and dump it to a file). This would be quite useful for a number of
    things.. Is there anything similar in linux?

    //// | Dan Mills -o) |
    |--00 | Duke Class of 2000 /\\ |
    C ` | email: _\_v |
    | |---o---3
    "Forcing preloads on people is like refusing to sell me a suit
    unless I also pay for a pair of shoes, made by a wholly different company,
    that are two sizes too small for my feet."

    --Donna., who got a $99 refund for Windows.