SubjectProposed Final Solution To (GNU/)?Linux problem

I have a solution to the problem of "Linux" vs. "GNU/Linux" that occasionally
crops up here. It is inspired by this observation from Jonas Oberg, in an
essay on slashdot.

"Some people argue that XFree86 should be given as much
credit as the GNU system. Those people do not understand
that by calling my system a GNU/Linux system, I give credit
not only to the GNU project but also to XFree86. Why?
Because the XFree86 has been adopted by the GNU project for
use in the GNU system, as has Lynx been which I use almost
daily. So by calling it a GNU/Linux system I give credit to
every program which are part of--or has been adopted by--the
GNU project."

If Linus and Alan Cox and the other people who deserve to be mentioned in
the same sentence as Linus and Alan but whose names I can't recall at the
moment would simply declare that the Linux project has adopted the GNU
project for use with the Linux kernel, then calling the system Linux will
automatically give the GNU system credit, just like calling something GNU
automatically credits XFree86.

--Tim Smith

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:1.065 / U:0.508 seconds]