    SubjectRe: multiply files in one (was GNU/Linux stance by Richard Stallman)
    On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 10:05:00AM +1000, Richard Gooch wrote:
    > Unless you have a very high compression ratio, why is there so much
    > benefit of reading in 10 MBytes of a compressed FS rather than just
    > reading in 10 MBytes of buffers on ext2fs?
    >
    > Note that I'm thinking about reading-ahead the inodes *and* the
    > blocks. If you have RAM to burn, then this looks like it should
    > work. I'm not thinking in terms of reading ahead a few piddling
    > blocks. I'm talking megabytes or dozens of megabytes.
    >
    > So with two seek operations, you can read-ahead lots of files and lots
    > of data.

    The 10 Mbytes for your files are likely scattered over the disk.
    with Larry's tarball, they are probably together.

    A file system with good performance on lots of small files is
    being written by Reiser. Check
    http://devlinux.com/namesys

    -- arvind

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.022 / U:30.160 seconds]