SubjectRE: Programatically scrolling VCs?
Date
> On Thu, Mar 25, 1999 at 01:41:45PM -0800, Osborn, Loren wrote:
> > I have a question that I was going to ask before on this
> list, but never got
> > around to it.
> > I am working on a version of gpm to support mice with the
> now infamous
> > "wheel"
> > (or wheels). I am looking for a way for a userlevel
> program (gpm) to
> > progammatically scroll-(back/forward) the current virtual
> console. Any help
> > would be appreciated...

This is the third instance I've heard where someone wanted to do a
<Shift-PgUp> and/or <Shift-PgDn> under program control. A fellow I talked
with in the Netherlands suggested either a new ioctl to allow us to insert
scan or key codes (TIOCSTI already lets us insert most anything else) or
else define a new device (like /dev/rawkey) that does the same thing. I've
been crawling around in devices/char/keyboard.c in my spare time to assess
the feasibility of these ideas.

> There is no support for this (at the moment). ISO 6429

This is correct. <Shift-PgUp> and a dozen or so other key presses are
handled directly by the interrupt handler and never queued for the ttys to
see.

> My best sugestion at the moment would be to use the
> mouse wheel for
> selection of text. That shouldn't be too difficult and

I actually don't like the text selection idea at all. The wheel is used for
scrolling under mswindows and many people are used to it working that way.

There seem to be enough needs for this that I think it's worth playing with.
I'd be glad to help out with the implementation. If someone has a good feel
for whether the ioctl or new device route is the best I'd be glad to hear
about it.

Regards,
Eric Fagerburg

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.031 / U:0.948 seconds]