SubjectRe: GNU/Linux

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999, Richard Stallman wrote:

> Properly speaking, Linux is the kernel that Linus wrote. He started
> development of the kernel, so naming it is his prerogative.

Indeed. And it is the reason we talk about Linux at this list and not
about GNU/Linux.

> The operating system in which Linux is typically used is basically the
> GNU system, combined with Linux and somewhat modified. The GNU

The Linux Operating System does not exist or just has more than a single
incarnation. The first linux based O/S I tried was Linux/GNU/X from
Yggdrasil. This one fitted your recommendations, but may-be it has just
been some chance.

> Project started development of this system, so we ought to get credit.
> Mentioning GNU in names of variants of the system is a way of giving
> credit. The best name to use for the Linux-based variant of the
> system is "GNU/Linux", which means, GNU and Linux together.
>
> It wouldn't be right to use the term "GNU Linux", because that would
> mean either "GNU's version of Linux" or "Linux, which is a GNU
> program". Those meanings don't fit the facts. "GNU/Linux" does fit.

The most popular Linux based O/S is "RedHat Linux" nowadays, that, btw,
seem not to contain a RedHat version of the Linux kernel, but may let
think, as you pointed out, that Linux is a RedHat program.

> Calling the operating system just Linux confuses most users--anyone
> who doesn't have a real firm understanding of the difference and
> relationship between the whole system and the kernel. These people
> see statements about "Linux", some of which refer to the kernel and
> some of which refer to the whole system, and they don't realize that
> not all the statements are talking about the same thing.

Agreed.

But, your post is just an 'off topic' with regards to the goal of the
linux-kernel development mailing-list which is to only deal with linux
kernel development and nothing else.

If people and companies that make O/Ses out of Linux, GNU tools, X package
and some other major free softwares have decided to ignore name of some
major components of their O/S, it should well be due to some strong
reasons. Probably, they must choose a good name, short enough, for their
product for marketing issues and it seems that they decided that "Linux"
was better than either "GNU", "X", or both "GNU" and "X".

Regards,
Gérard.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.208 / U:0.196 seconds]