SubjectRe: smbfs still timing out
Date
mev0003@unt.edu enscribed thusly:

[...]

> Ok, I tried the inline password form, and it is still mounted, except
> pagefile.sys is inaccessible. Hmm, really wanted to screw with my NT
> box's paging. ;) (j/k). I last mounted that partition this morning,
> when I sent my last message. So, I guess this would really be a samba
> problem, and not a kernel problem.

Still a bit early to tell, but it does look that way, yes...

> However, I really don't like entering the password that way. A grep on
> .bash_history for the password is plenty of reason for *that* little
> bias! Too bad there's not a way to alert bash that a particular string
> is actually a password, and that that string shouldn't be kept in
> ~/.bash_history.

Use the environment mechanism or command substitution? You defeat
the history problem a couple of ways if you are really worried about that...

Examples:

# eval `cat`
export PASSWD=foo
^D

Or on the command line the same way...

# smbmount //server/foo `cat` .....
export PASSWD=foo
^D

Yeah, it's a kludge, but it will help out while I figure out WTF
is still busted...

> --
> Matthew Vanecek
> Studies in Business Computers at the University of North Texas
> http://www.unt.edu/bcis
> Visit my Website at http://people.unt.edu/~mev0003
> For 93 million miles, there is nothing between the sun and my shadow
> except me. I'm always getting in the way of something...

Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield | (770) 985-6132 | mhw@WittsEnd.com
(The Mad Wizard) | (770) 925-8248 | http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/