SubjectRe: GNU/Linux stance by Richard Stallman
Well...not to mention that this is way off topic to begin with, but, what the
hell..I'll respond. When you say GNU is not really free I suppose you are
referring to the license that it is distributed under(the GPL...the same one
Linux is), and the same one...regarded by most
OpenSource/FreeSoftware/FunkySoftwareRevolutionary types as THE license of
choice. Yeah, that makes sense then...saying its not free. And I suppose
the trap would be.....ummm...hmmm..no I cant think of any, being that you can
modify, change it, copy it, etc etc...without paying anyone...and you can in
fact *gasp*, not use it if it so bothers you. As far as laying claim to your
success, are you saying that, you personally are responsible for the GNU
effort, and they have stolen all this from you. Wow. Thats impressive.
Perhaps you want some recognition...Oh no...you dont...your against that.
Admittedly...some people want more recongnition then they deserve....I think
Linus is right on line...he does it because he wants to, is glad when people
like it, is open to suggestions on where to go with it, etc....but
seriously....RMS writes a ridiculous ammount of code, starts a movement(both
software and philosophical), and all he wants people to do is refer to their
system using the nouns appropriate for the task...and people think he wants a
damn memorial or something. Anyway...Im done now. Sorry about the
rant...and yeah, its way the hell off topic..please flame me.

George Bonser wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Andy Carlson wrote:
>
> > Has anyone seen this? Where Richard Stallman stood up and insisted that
> > Linux be called GNU Linux?
>
> Stallman can be such a jerk. He is a SMART jerk, but still a jerk
> sometimes.
>
> This just proves that GNU software is not really free. It is hung out
> there to entice you to use it and when you do, they spring the trap and
> try to lay claim to your success as their own.
>
> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.116 / U:0.740 seconds]