    SubjectRe: Linux-2.2.4..
    On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 08:26:42PM -0500, Jeff Millar wrote:

    > The mirrors don't get a copy of the upload very fast...sometimes it
    > seems like days. Often the first mirror to get a new kernel isn't
    > even us.kernel.org

    Why _should_ us.kernel.org be the first to get the new kernel?

    > Maybe Linus should hold off on the announcement until the mirrors have
    > a change to catch up?...on the existential theory that if a kernel isn't
    > available is it really "out there"?

    I've often thought that, but OTOH it probably isn't really practical. The only
    thing that really bugs me is trying to grab the pre-patches: by the time
    they've arrived at a local mirror or I've managed to actually get onto
    ftp.kernel.org, they tend to have been superceded, often by the final patch.
    Which kind of defeats the point of making the pre-patches available so people
    can test for problems before the final release.

    --
    Fortune: You will be attacked next Wednesday at 3:15 p.m. by six samuri
    sword wielding purple fish glued to Harley-Davidson motorcycles.