SubjectRE: Can't load Linux on boot
>===== Original Message From mikpos@home.com =====
>On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Bob Cthulhu wrote:
>
>| LILO is on my MBR, and on top of that, the Linux partition is the ONLY
active
>| partition - yet when I boot, I don't get so much as 'L', and I get
"Starting
>| Windows 98" instead! If I put a LILO boot disk into the floppy drive, I
can
>| mount hda1 as root, but it doesn't seem to recognize the first partition as
>| being active normally, nor does it run LILO from the MBR. I can't figure
out
>| why, especially since I installed Linux before Windows (the main reason I
>| installed windows at all is because it was getting frustrating not being
able
>| to boot off the hard drive).
>|
>Sounds to me like you just need to LILO again. You said you installed
>Windows after Linux, which means Windows installed its own bootstrap on the
>MBR most likely. Just boot into Linux and rerun /sbin/lilo (and make sure
>you have something in your /etc/lilo.conf that'll let you run Windows --
>otherwise you'll have to reinstall Windows most likely). Reboot and all
>should be well. If that doesn't work, fdisk /dev/hda and make /dev/hda1
>bootable (and only that bootable) and try installing LILO on /dev/hda1
>instead of /dev/hda, although I can't think of any reason why this would be
>necessary.

ah, but before I even installed windows, it told me there was no operating
system installed - I could only boot up with a LILO disk even then - and as
for the windows partition being bootable... it isn't! hda1 is the only active
partition, and that's my Linux partition! (I originally had LILO installed on
the Superblock of hda1, rather than the MBR, but when I kept getting no
operating system messages, I switched it)

Thanks,
Ethan