SubjectRe: 2.2.3, VIA, IDE, performace -> use bonnie
On Sun, 21 Mar 1999, Mark Lord wrote:

> Jelle Foks wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 20 Mar 1999, Meelis Roos wrote:
> > > Now the interesting part: running hdparm -t /dev/hda again (and again
> Ooops.. somebody probably used "-T" instead of "-t" that time..
> ..
> > Though probably even bonnie can be improved, it's much better than hdparm
> > for quick tests.
>
> But they measure different things. Apples and Oranges.
>
> Bonnie measures *system* I/O performance.
> hdparm measures sequential sustainable disk data transfer rates.

True. However, in practice, when run on ext2fs, with a reasonably fast cpu
(celeron 300a or more), with any UDMA disk that I've seen, bonnie gives
you the sequential sustainable disk data transfer rates too when run on a
2GB file.

You can see whether the bottleneck is the CPU or the disk by looking at
bonnie's cpu utilization results. The only time I can think of to use
hdparm instead of bonnie is when you're doing block device development and
are testing if your code has any throughput problems

I think hdparm could be much more useful if it would scan the entire disk
and produce the data for a graph of drive speed vs position on the disk.

Cya,
Jelle.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.087 / U:0.120 seconds]