    SubjectRe: [OFFTOPIC] Re: disk head scheduling

    > From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
    > Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 12:16:40 -0800 (PST)
    > To: Jim Gettys <jg@pa.dec.com>
    > Cc: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>, linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
    > Subject: Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: disk head scheduling
    > -----
    > >
    > > Was anyone else on this mailing list present and awake enough to remember
    > > the gist of this paper?
    >
    > There were several papers and works in progress at OSDI 99 that dealt
    > closely to this topic. It was a very interesting conference from this
    > perspective.
    >
    > There was:
    > "Automatic I/O Hint Generation Through Speculative Execution,
    > Fay Chang, Garth A. Gibson, Carnegie Mellon University"
    >
    > Then there was:
    > Virtual Log Based File Systems for a Programmable Disk
    > Randolph Y. Wang, University of California, Berkeley; Thomas E.
    > Anderson, University of Washington, Seattle; David A. Patterson,
    > University of California, Berkeley
    >

    > Then there was "Enriching the File System-Storage System Interface"
    > work-in-progress (Drew Roselli, Jeanna Neefe Matthews, Tom Anderson
    > (drew@cs.berkeley.edu) which talked about informing the storage subsystem
    > with info hints as for file block lifetime, etc... I think this might have
    > been what you were thinking of?

    Yes, I think this was what I remember not paying proper attention to...
    It is certainly one of these three, but I think it was this last one
    I remember...

    In my defense, I had just (mostly) recovered from serious bronchitis,
    but was still having periods of feeling crummy; and as I had been
    giving talks the previous two days to large audiences, I was just happy
    it was a day when I didn't have to be "on", but could imitate a vegetable
    or mineral, which I did that day, and crashed in my hotel room all evening...

    - Jim

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:4.868 / U:0.120 seconds]