    SubjectSevere file system corruption with 2.2.3 and SCSI
    I have experienced 2 crashes close together on 2.2.3 SMP. I am
    using SCSI and IDE disks. On reboot fsck reports that the filesystems on
    the SCSI disk are corrupt. Running fsck results in an unrecoverable
    error. I have lost my /usr and /home partitions twice in a row. fsck

    Error reading block xxxxxx (Read-only filesystem) while doing inode scan.
    Ignore error<y>?

    I choose y (I have no choice - n doesn't fix anything). Then fsck tells me:

    Error reading block xxxxxx (Read-only filesystem) while reading inode and
    block bitmaps. Ignore error<y>?

    Again I choose y. Then fsck floods the screen with numbers strung
    together in a mess. After this fsck reports:

    Error writing block xxxxxx (Read-only filesystem) while writing bitmaps.
    Ignore error<y>?

    Again I choose y. Then:

    Error writing block xxxxxx (Read-only filesystem). Ignore error<y>?

    I choose y. Finally:

    Error reading block xxxxxx (Read-only filesystem) while reading indirect
    blocks if inode xxx. Ignore error<y>?

    I again choose y. Now my filesystem is gone and placed in lost+found.
    When the system crashed the second time I did an emergency sync with the
    SysRq key. Still resulted in severe corruption. These errors are only
    happening on my SCSI disk. It is a Quantum Atlas. I have checked
    termination and cabling. I hope it is something as simple as bad
    termination, but this started happening with 2.2.3 so I think it is a
    kernel issue. I have backpedaled to 2.2.1 and mounted /usr as read-only
    for now. I think the SCSI code or the inode stuff is getting severely
    messed up somehow. This may sound sadistic but I hope others are having
    similar problems so it can be worked out. I am tired of rebuilding

    Let me know what I can do. I am still looking through the logs for
    anything pertinent.

    James Rich

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.021 / U:7.540 seconds]