SubjectRe: [OFFTOPIC] Re: disk head scheduling

> On Sun, Mar 21, 1999 at 12:16:40PM -0800, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> > Then there was "Enriching the File System-Storage System Interface"
> > work-in-progress (Drew Roselli, Jeanna Neefe Matthews, Tom Anderson
> > (drew@cs.berkeley.edu) which talked about informing the storage subsystem
> > with info hints as for file block lifetime, etc... I think this might have
> > been what you were thinking of?
>

> I think this is what Jim must have had in mind. Tell the disk drive which
> blocks are related, which blocks are unlikely to be written, ... so that the
> drive can optimize geometry. If I'm not mistaken, sct said that ext3 will
> support this kind of thing.

Yes- if that makes sense. For a lot of data it does. But for a lot of
transactions and systems, it's a little less clear. I sort of liked the
speculative I/O execution thread paper of Fay Chang's which might do what
this mini-paper is talking about, but at runtime. That is, dynamically
generate a hint-list. That's really good for reads, and logging
filesystems with offpeak garbage collection may solve a lot of the write
problems?

-matt

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.100 / U:0.116 seconds]