    SubjectRe: Two questions regarding LINUX SMP "goals"

    > There are no panaceas and any implementation of an SMP Kernel is going to
    > favor some types of applications over others. Is there a "specification" or
    > "goal" written down somewhere that tells what types of applications
    > LINUX/SMP is intended to favor?
    >
    > Is performance or stability the more preferred goal? Where stability means
    > applications will not require recoding as the SMP Kernel matures.
    > -

    I can only offer this. I have been using posix threads for almost 2
    years, starting on kernel 2.0.32, going thru many of the 2.1 kernels
    including almost all from 2.1.97 on, and then 2.2.0/1/2/3 as well.
    The applications receive _no_ changes in moving them from one version
    to the next, because nothing on the 'user-side' has changed, except
    that performance has picked up a bit.

    If you have something that uses posix threads, it should run on
    _everything_ including even Solaris. If you use traditional non-posix-
    threads things like fork/mmap/shmat/etc (your choice for how to get at
    shared memory, I have used mmap and the shmget/shmat with equal ease
    and success) then you might occasionally run into something odd if you
    use some specific linux things. IE if you depend on fork() to be _very_
    fast, you will be happy under linux, but not under other flavors of
    unix.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.073 / U:0.048 seconds]