    SubjectRe: 3dfx - a security hazard?

    Tigran wrote:

    > I am probably missing something, but access to both /dev/3dfx and (e.g.)
    > /dev/mem is controlled by filesystem permission rules. Writing garbage to
    > either will crash the entire machine. Why is one a security hazard and
    > another is not?

    Because if you want anyone to be able to play games, you give them 3dfx
    access - ideally you'd want a group 3dfx[1]. If there's a way to crash the
    system with 3dfx, then you're not providing 3dfx properly, and you're just
    inviting people to introduce a security hazard.

    The same is definitely not true of /dev/mem - access to that is definitely
    restricted, and everybody knows that [or should].

    [1] or group d3fx, due to issues with quotas and users/groups starting with

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.026 / U:7.196 seconds]