    SubjectRe: Recursion level of symlinks limitted to five?

    On 10-Mar-99 Junio Hamano wrote:
    > When that happens, there is no reason for the kernel to even
    > support 5 levels of indirection. The kernel could even return
    > ELOOP when it sees just one symbolic link and let the C library
    > resolve the symlink. Of course, on the other hand, we may want
    > to have the kernel resolve some levels of indirection itself
    > for, say, performance reasons.

    Also because you can't do a proper job from user-mode. The only tool available
    is readlink, but readlink and followlink are different operations in the VFS
    interface. In other words, its possible for a filesystem to put one thing in a
    symlink as far as readlink goes, and do another when you try to follow it.
    /proc has many examples of this, and it is not unique.

    You may be able to do it if you add an appropriate syscall.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.018 / U:5.812 seconds]