SubjectRe: Real Time scheduler?
On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Peter Steiner wrote:
> Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
>
> >> I already have something like that. It's a modification of how niceness
> >> values are interpreted.
>
> >Wasn't there a problem with kernel locks though?
>
> The patch works here (1 cpu) without a single problem so far. I didn't
> care to much about trying to avoid races or so, just made sure the
> patch fits into the already existing locking stuff.
>
> Now every normal process waiting on that lock sleeps forever. I never
> experienced such a problem so far so I didn't care about it. It might
> be good to give every process at least a minimal amount of the cpu so
> the system can escape those situations.

I've experienced a lockup like that ONCE in 5 months.

For me, this is serious enough to care about. I'll
have a new (totally new) patch once the SMP reboot
and APCI annoyances are fixed (rebooting the system
now often takes 5 tries so I'm not patching at the
moment :).

Rik -- If a Microsoft product fails, who do you sue?