SubjectRe: Kernel interface changes (was Re: cdrecord problems on
Date
In article <linux.kernel.19990208112914.A7925@hazel.buici.com>,
Oscar Levi <elf@buici.com> wrote:
>On Sun, Feb 07, 1999 at 08:15:24AM +0000, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> I _refuse_ to even consider tying my hands over some binary-only module.
>
>Hear hear. Deviating from binary-only compatible is a significant
>part of what makes the Linux kernel work. "If it isn't broken, don't
>fix it. It it is broken, do."

That's a nice sentiment, but if you break binary compatability
(which is useful for modules you have the source for as well; a
fixed binary interface (like, umm, UDI) makes it easier to mix and
match device drivers and not be forced to follow kernel revisions or
do lots of hackery if you want to support something, like the xia
filesystem, that's not supported in the kernel de jour), you're
only fixing it if you consider backwards compatability to be a bug.

____
david parsons \bi/ ... this, distressingly, the way things are in
\/ the computer industry.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.028 / U:0.076 seconds]