SubjectRe: Kernel interface changes (was Re: cdrecord problems on
In message <sjmu2x0bzxh.fsf@datkins.ihtfp.org>, Derek Atkins writes:
+-----
| David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> writes:
| > How come, that if IBM doesn't make a penny from AFS, they don't release
| > the source, so that we can include it in the kernel?!!?!
|
| No, I said they don't make a penny from Linux-AFS; they _do_ make
| money off of AFS for other platforms. Linux-AFS is a derivative work
| from AFS, so the sources are still copyrighted by IBM and, indeed, the
| Linux-AFS source tree contains the sources for all the other AFS
| platforms as well.
|
| It's a good thought -- I tried to go down that route. I was happy
| just to get IBM to allow me to distribute BINARIES for free!
+--->8

IBM *has* made some concessions, though --- they freed up the Rx RPC
library, else Arla and Coda would have been impossible. They've also
refrained from declaring ownership of AFS version 2, which is the basis
for Coda.

By and large, however, the AFS3 situation is now too entrenched on all
sides. I don't expect to see any serious changes (of the open source/
free software variety) from IBM/Transarc, and Arla's not quite ready for
deployment in production environments (getting there, yes, but not quite
there yet).

--
brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu