SubjectRe: [RFC] What should we do with FAT inode numbers?
On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, Alexander Viro wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, Colin Plumb wrote:
>
> > Well, the usual Unix guarantee is that for the lifetime of a single file,
> > (device,inode) uniquely identifies it.
>
> Not true for AFS.

True, but it's often close enough. The "inode number" of an AFS file is
0xXXXXYYYY, where XXXX is the low 16 bits of the volume ID and YYYY is the
low 16 bits of the vnode number. The volume ID is unique for the life of
the volume (in fact, generally for the life of the cell), and few cells
have more than 64K volumes, so the chance of duplication is relatively
small. Similarly, the vnode number is unique for the life of the file,
and relatively few volumes have more than 32K files (regular files always
have even vnode numbers). So, it's not perfect, but it usually works.

Sr. Research Systems Programmer

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:1.017 / U:0.284 seconds]