SubjectRe: Linux-2.2.2-pre2..

On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, Alexander Viro wrote:

> Because It's Done That Way (tm). The simplest way to fix it would
> probably be switching to slabs instead of using raw pages.

It used to use slabs, and memory usage was _horrible_.

> Linus, do you have any objections against it? If it's OK for you
> I'll roll a patch and submit it.

We had it already for a short moment in the 2.1.x series, and it simply
didn't work very well. It had all the slab problems with multi-page
allocations, and inodes also have very hard-to-predict allocation
lifetimes, so what happened was that when you allocated a lot of inodes,
the pages were almost never freed back to the page pool, because there was
often a few inodes holding things locked down anyway.

It's a long time ago, but I essentially reverted it within a few releases
because _I_ had problems with it (and that's on machines with plenty of
memory).

> Another question: we still have a race in rename() on UNIX
> filsystems (d_invalidate() stuff).

Remind me..

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.060 / U:0.056 seconds]