SubjectRe: linux capabilities and ACLs
On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Tim Smith wrote:

> I think the TOPS-10 system was conceptually much better, although
> the implementation suffered from problems (mainly because it was a
> gross hack).

> I think this kind of system should be considered for Linux. I can
> see some problems with hard links, but it might be a nice way to
^^^^^^^^^^
This is a problem because anyone can make a hard link to a
file (or have I overlooked something?).

> provide most of the benefits of ACLs with almost none of the
> disadvantages of the usual approach. If a Linux implementation
> kept the TOPS-10 behaviour of only checking the access file on
> accesses that would otherwise fail,

This _is_ a problem. I can imagine the situation where
you want a file to be world-readable EXCEPT for that one
special network user (say, nobody).

Doing something like that can be excellent protection
for when a network daemon breaks down...

Rik -- If a Microsoft product fails, who do you sue?