SubjectRe: udma still broken (2.2.1+aladdin 5)
On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Andre M. Hedrick wrote:

> The above is the correct method for handling ATAPI devices that report
> errors. I suggest that you split the HD and CDROM to maintain the
> stablity of DMA xfers. This is part of the problematic nature of the ALI
> IV/V chipset based boards and Linux. This code was developed independent
> of me, but tested enough to state that it is functional in most cases.
> Until I get around to getting one of these to shake down hard and torture,
> one will be required to patch until, or 2.3.X begins.

I don't quite follow your line of argument here as I currently have (
following the reset in my earlier message):

/dev/hdb:
I/O support = 0 (default 16-bit)
unmaskirq = 0 (off)
using_dma = 0 (off)
keepsettings = 0 (off)
readonly = 1 (on)
readahead = 8 (on)

/dev/hda:
multcount = 16 (on)
I/O support = 0 (default 16-bit)
unmaskirq = 0 (off)
using_dma = 1 (on)
keepsettings = 0 (off)
nowerr = 0 (off)
readonly = 0 (off)
readahead = 8 (on)
geometry = 1023/64/63, sectors = 4124736, start = 0

which seems quite OK, given that the CDROM DMA noes not work.

--
Shaw Carruthers - shaw@shawc.demon.co.uk
London SW14 7JW UK