    SubjectRe: Sharing modules between different kernels of same version.
    Hi Ely,

    > I'm wondering if it's possible to compile two different kernels,
    > with varying drivers and architecture, but share a set of compiled
    > modules between them?

    It probably works most of the time, but there are two gotchas.

    (1) The kernel/module interface varies with certain configuration
    variables such as CONFIG_SMP and CONFIG_PROCFS. As far as I know,
    no one has analyzed out the list of such variables.

    (2) Some module options affect code generated in the resident kernel
    (yuck). You can find those by grep 'CONFIG_.*_MODULE' over the
    kernel source.

    Yet more swamps to drain. I feel low just thinking about it.

    Michael Elizabeth Chastain
    <mailto:mec@shout.net>
    "love without fear"

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.018 / U:150.664 seconds]