SubjectRe: Kernel interface changes (was Re: cdrecord problems on
Date

No more cc:s to cdwrite or linux-scsi, please.

>> 2.2 is supposed to _be_ stable, not gradually stabilize. That's what
>> 2.1/2.3 are for.
>
>Unfortunatelly it's not possible. Joe average will not even try "development"
>kernel and some errors could not be found without A LOT OF users.

So fix the bugs. Don't try to roll in new features or optimizations.
One specific trouble I was talking about happened when 2.1 lasted long
enough that developers decided to roll 2.1 features back into 2.0. Of
*course* you're going to miss something!

Stable release means stable release. That definately applies to
userspace APIs. Everyone concerned has agreed on that. The only
argument still raging is whether or not it applies (potentially) to
kernel architecture and modules. I'm hands-off in that argument as I
don't have any extensive personal experience to offer. Sorry Derek
:-(

>Looks like few overlooked problems in 2.0.x kernels started all this fuzz :-((

Yes, but it still caused headaches, and this kind of 'overlooked
problem' is not exactly rare.

>Even NT where binary compatibility is fetish doing it (after NT 4.0 and
>NT 4.0 SP3 are not 100% binary-compatible!) why you thing Linux is exception ?

NT has nothing to do with this argument. People will be bringing up
Hitler next ;-)

Monty

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.077 / U:0.360 seconds]