SubjectRe: linux capabilities and ACLs
According to David Watson <david@cs.ucsb.edu>:
> I'm also interested in knowing the status on ACL support. Is support
> being worked on? Can it be added to ext2, or is something new needed?

As far as I know, the ACL support for ext2 was planned, but never
achieved, and now dropped, because an ACL field in the indode
structure has been used to allow files bigger than 4GB. See the file:
linux/include/linux/ext2_fs.h. It contains the following line:

#define i_size_high i_dir_acl

Which means that you cannot have ACL and +4GB files in the same time.
This second feature has been considered more useful than ACL. I think
that it is not feasible to keep backward compatibility with older ext2
filesystems and get ACL and big files in the same time. Maybe it is time
for an ext3 filesystem ?

--Thomas Pornin

PS: however, another filesystem might be just what you need. Maybe ufs ?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:1.071 / U:0.012 seconds]