    SubjectRe: using more than 2 GB as a ram disk
    > The Alpha only has about 43 address bits; is the Alpha not 64-bit?

    The Alpha can be extended to 64 bits **WITHOUT SOFTWARE IMPACT**.

    > > you either store pointers in a non-flat format or normalize
    > > them every time;
    > Yes, exactly. For userspace, this is hidden by the compiler.
    > > once (or if) Intel adds more adds more address bits than 36
    > > you're hosed again.
    > At that point I expect a fix for the virtual address space too.
    > If not, you can extend the hack a bit. Don't use Electric Fence.

    ... and your old binaries are worthless.

    > > Not to mention the cost to load segments for every reference.
    > The compiler may be able to reduce it a bit. Even if not, I have
    > yet to see another proposal that gets the job done on ia32.
    > In other words: I did it! I claim bragging rights to this abomination.

    These kinds of proposals have been around for a long time (I remember
    seeing them back in the i386 days, using external logic.) They're
    just as useless now as then.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.020 / U:111.408 seconds]