SubjectRe: linux capabilities and ACLs
On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 08:26:09PM +0100, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
>
> > I've just written a document which is intended to be distributed
> > as linux/Documentation/filesystems/ext2.txt. I've updated it to
> > deal with this misunderstanding. I'll quote the whole thing here
> > now (as more people are likely to review it);
>
> Writing kernel documentation seems to become a popular
> hobby...

Kernel documentation is something we're sadly lacking and it's responsible
for maybe 40% of the postings to linux-kernel. Therefore improving
documentation (quality as well as quantity :-) is a good way of improving
the signal to noise ratio on linux-kernel. Documenting the system is
also a good way of learning about it of course - and may well produce
more useful documentation since you document what you needed to research.

> Would there be any interest in a kernel-doc list? I'd
> be happy to set it up and take some traffic out of the
> linux-kernel list...

This sounds like a fine idea. It's a list which is clearly distinct from
linux-kernel, people won't post to the wrong list through ignorance and
I don't think kernel-doc would suffer from having a different readership
to linux-kernel.

> Linux-kernel really is too busy. We need to be strict
> in what we post to it and we need other places to post
> the stuff that some people might not find appropriate
> for this list. My server (www.nl.linux.org) has more
> than enough memory and bandwidth left to take care of
> any needs in this regard...

I'd prefer it to be on vger so that people who ask vger for what lists
it runs find out about it. On the other hand, perhaps people don't
find out about lists that way any more *sigh*. Yeah, just set it up
and advertise it on linuxhq & so on.

--
Matthew Wilcox <willy@bofh.ai>
"I decry the current tendency to seek patents on algorithms. There are