SubjectRe: 2.0.36 sends spanning-tree when bridge disabled
On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> From: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
> To: ptb@it.uc3m.es
> Cc: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk, linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 18:36:18 +0000 (GMT)
> Subject: Re: 2.0.36 sends spanning-tree when bridge disabled
>
> > Alan - been hunting a problem for a week that has been taking down
> > half our net. Bridge may be implicated. The common denominator is
>
> Having read the bridge code I cant currently satisfy myself that it does
> correctly shut up for all cases when its disabled.

It sure does not. I had also a problem with some packages from various
machines with compiled-in bridging which my tcpdump could not decipher.

May this be the cause for the experimental status of bridging?

For my bridge(it is the only one in this net), I needed to patch br.c for
not sending out any unasked spanning tree packages(broke spannig tree
implementation), but after donig the patch, I had no problem.

The bridge is in production use now more than a year.

Besides fixing this, would you like to make the spanning tree option an
additonal option to the bridging code, or can we add a define which
disalbes the unasked sending of spanning tree packages?

Bernhard

"There are no default values. There are only default answers
to questions." -- Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.077 / U:0.268 seconds]